Monday 28 February 2011

LUA's Your Daddy (And What Does He Two)?

I really should be making another Leeloo gathering post today, but I've been playing the head-start of RIFT so the vast majority of my playtime in WoW has only consisted of scanning the auction house in the background while I catch up on my RSS feeds. Or while I make blog posts. And I'm finding that I really do enjoy making blog posts. So today, I'm going to hit up some mods again, while reusing my LUA pun.

TukUI
This is kind of an all-in-one, as is usually the case with mods that contain "UI" in their names. It's a very nice, minimal [and resolution-independent] package that takes care of pretty much everything. It handles your buff bar, minimap, bags, bars, nameplates, and to a limited extent also works as an LDB broker [like Titan Panel or FuBar] It also comes with a toggle between a dps/tank UI and a healer one, though I've not tried the healer one. This mod, no joke, replaced ten mods I was using previously [SexyMap, FuBar, Bartender, Bagnon, Sunn - Viewport Art, Recount, Tidy Plates, PitBull Unit Frames, SatrinaBuffFrame and TipTac] and uses about as much memory as one of the less mem-hog ones I listed.

This mod is pretty flawless right out of the box, and it's super easy to configure [though you do have to download something additional to do so; that's on the download page linked above as well]. If you do end up using it - or one of the three edits of it [ElvUI, Eclípsé UI, and Hydra UI] - be sure to stop by their forums. Aside from being pretty friendly there, they have a sub-forum for mods that have been built from scratch or have been skinned to mesh with the TukUI look [not the other three, sorry].

My only real gripe with it is the LDB broker portion of it. The way it is set up only allows for a maximum of eight things being displayed, which for me, is pretty limiting, but for others may be more than enough. Even so, I heavily recommend this mod.

Flight Map Enhanced
This mod does a lot of things that makes taking a flight anywhere in the game a lot more convenient. Amongst other things, it adds a list to the side of the map at the flightmaster separating flightpoints by their zone, with each zone collapsable. It shows on your world map any flightpaths you're missing, independently of whether you've fully explored the zone or not [a failing in Blizz having hard-to-see symbols on the new maps], though you have to talk to a flightmaster first for it to get a list of what's missing for that continent [and talk again once you've grabbed some, to refresh it's list]. You can click [or shift-click, alt-click, etc] anywhere on the world map, and not only will it auto-select the closest flightpath to where you clicked as your destination, it will show an icon on your minimap directing you to the closest flightpath to you.

I would love for it to have some optional TomTom support for finding new flightpaths, and directing you to the nearest fp once a destination has been selected, but their absence doesn't hurt the mod at all. And I may end up submitting a ticket or coding in support for it myself. We'll see.

TomTom
I originally installed this mod for integration with another mod that I not only no longer use, but can't even remember the name of. It puts an arrow on the screen that points to specific coordinates in a zone [it doesn't have to be the one you're in], as well as a range, and it updates as you head towards/away that waypoint. Upon death, it will instantly generate a waypoint to your corpse [or the instance portal if you died in a dungeon]. Despite the fact that I constantly use TomTom, I'm mostly using it via other mods and not by itself. Still, all-around a good mod [es evidenced by my wish for integration with Flight Map Enhanced, above].

ProspectBar
Despite the name, this mod handles milling, disenchanting, unlocking and opening of boxes, as well as the titular prospecting. I've only used it for milling so far, but it's amazing for that [way better than Panda, honestly]. It, oddly enough, puts a tiny movable [and collapsible] bar on your screen, that adds buttons that correspond to your herbs [and ores, boxes, and greens too, though as I said, I've not explored that aspect of it yet]. You click the button and presto-change-o you've milled [etc.] that herb [brackets are fun {nested brackets more-so}].

Well, that's it for this dose of addon-related blogging. For the amount that I actually say in these posts, the amount of time it takes to write them is kind of ludicrous. This one took about two hours to put together, though that's pretty much entirely due to the massive amount of linking I did in my rundown of TukUI [seriously, 15 links, not counting the one actually linking to it].

As always [let's pretend I've been saying this from the start {and that I'll remember to say it in the future}], I hope you've enjoyed my writing, or at the very least didn't hate it. And I hope you've found something new and shiny to ease your WoW experience. Now if you'll excuse me, I have an overlord I must abase myself before.

3 comments:

  1. Hola!!

    I'm enjoying the posts! And I'm a fan of add-ons too! I've been recently thinking about improving my UI and your suggestion sounds like it would be harmless enough (I once installed Pitbull, oohed over the prettiness and then got confused and overwhelmed).

    I'm thinking of trying to find a new mod for Archeology. Archy hasn't been working since the patch and after spending a day without it, I need a fix like Buntz suggested Homing Digeon and/or your Flight Map Enchanced.

    Lately, I haven't trusted flight masters. They sometimes seem to want to send me on a longer, more round about route....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was holding off on mentioning it until I did the addon post that tackled Archy, but there's a bugfix that's been released by an independent party to tide things over until the next official release. It still has some *minor* issues, but it's usable.

    http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info19411-Archybugfix.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Say no more - I shall wait for the post! :)

    ReplyDelete